There are 21 days until college football returns. Today we honor the best there ever was, Oklahoma St RB #21, Barry Sanders.
It’s hard to fathom how great Barry Sanders was at Oklahoma St. And to really do almost all of his damage in a single season, as he didn’t play as much his freshman and sophomore years. But what a season it was.
In 1988, the Sanders put together one of the greatest seasons in college football history. Here are NCAA records he set in that season alone (per Wikipedia):
- Most rushing yards in a season: 2,628
- Most rushing touchdowns in a season: 37 (Note- Sanders actually scored 42 rushing touchdowns for the year. However, prior to 2002, the NCAA did not include bowl game statistics in yearly totals.)
- Most touchdowns in a season: 39 (44 with bowl stats)
- Most games rushing for 300+ yards in a season and career: 4
- Highest average rushing yards per game in a season: 238.9
- Most points scored in a season: 234
He averaged an insane 7.6 yds/carry to lead the nation. Sanders also had 5 consecutive games of 200+ yards rushing, and had 2+ touchdowns in 11 consecutive games. That season he won the Heisman in a runaway. Sanders was later much deservedly elected to the College Football Hall of Fame.