Logo for Kentucky Wildcats
Kentucky Wildcats

Posted By Wyatt Huff 3 years ago

Cal gives a team update.

Tuesday this week was the first day all players got to play with each other. Coach Cal says yesterday's practice reminded him of 4 or 5 years ago with 2014-15 team. "Practice yesterday reminded me of a team four or five years ago where two guys blocked a shot at the same time. Like, bam, bam. I told them, “That’s what I’m talking about.’” He mentioned that all players still aren't in the locker room together, and he still feels comfortable about Olivier Sarr getting his waiver, and of course is excited about hiring Brusier Flint. Cal is really excited about the offense too: "What I’ll do with the offense this year, right now Joel and I were the only two on the floor for the past month and a half. Just he and I together. And let me just tell you, I love it. Takes me back to my UMass days where I’ve got one assistant and I’m on the court coaching. All that I’m doing right now is putting in the dribble drive slowly because I have time. And I’m really getting them to understand spacing.” “We’ve got a long way to go. Again, it’s August, but it was funny — yesterday, it was the first day we’ve done anything against each other. Everything has been separated in groups…We talked about opening up our locker room. I’m not sure I’m ready to do that yet to where they can all congregate together because again, one guy doing something dumb can lock you down. Even if we’re going live, guys, I’ll go five, seven minutes and we’ll do something scripted, so 5-on-0, 3-on-0 where they’re spaced and then we’ll come together again for five to seven minutes and then we’ll separate. I’m trying to be respectful because we’re learning new everyday and I just want to make sure with my guys that we’re doing this in a safe way.”

To comment on Cal gives a team update. you must Login. Not a member? Make your account now!

Latest Comments

No comments have been posted. Be the first!